O-1 Visa Vs. H-1B

Many times, foreign professionals who wish to work in the United States have many options when applying for a work visa because of their academic and professional background. Choosing the right type of visa can greatly increase your chances of obtaining a visa. When choosing a visa type, you need to consider the visa amount, visa validity period, Various factors such as residence requirements. Due to their own situation, some professionals are more suitable for H-1B (also known as h1b签证), there are more suitable for O-1 (also known as o1签证). If you are confused which one you are qualifying for, you can always consult an H-1B attorney (also known as h1b 律师)

The H-1B visa is used every year by many U.S. employers to get specialty workers — those who have at least a bachelor’s-level degree in the same specialty that the employer is hiring for. The H-1B (also known as 美国h1b签证) does not give you a green card but is a “nonimmigrant” (temporary) visa that allows you to stay in the U.S. and work in the specialty occupation for a limited period of time. It is a “capped” visa, which means a limited number are available every year. Specifically, 65,000 H-1B visas are available annually plus an additional 20,000 for those with a U.S. master’s or higher degree. The employer’s ability to get the paperwork filed on time and “win” the selection lottery is only the first step. After that, the government looks at the job and the employee’s qualifications to see if the person and position offered qualify. The H-1B visa has one particular advantage over the O-1: The threshold ability and education requirement of the H-1B is much lower than for the O-1.

However, O-1 visas do not have similar quota limits and can be applied as long as they meet the requirements. Therefore, if a foreigner who meets the conditions cannot obtain an H-1B visa due they lost the lottery, he or she may consider applying for an O-1 visa. The O-1 visa is specifically meant for talented people, allowing them to come to the U.S. to work on a particular project or event. It is available to those who have extraordinary ability in science, art, education, business, or athletics, and those who have extraordinary achievement in television production or motion pictures.